Finding the perfect rug for your space is much easier said than done. Beyond size, you have to consider placement, style, and durability. And even if you manage to discover an option that checks all the boxes, the chances it’s also easy on the wallet are slim. But as of now, luxurious, budget-friendly choices are just an Amazon order away thanks to Chris Loves Julia’s first collaboration with Loloi Rugs.
Chris and Julia Marcum designed 18 affordable rugs in three distinct collections (two of which are named after Julia’s grandmothers), all available on Amazon, as well as a few other big-box retailers. With Loloi—beloved for its handwoven designs—steering the ship, you won’t have to think twice about quality, and all the styles are available in 10 to 15 sizes. Most impressive, though, they’re all super-affordable (like, a 5-by-7-foot-number-for-under-$200 affordable). Below, we chose five of our favorites based on no-fuss design, shape, and colorways. Don’t forget to snap up an accessory or two with all that money you saved.
The Short List
- Best traditional rug: Rosemarie ROE-01 Graphite Multi Oriental Area Rug
- Best vintage-style rug: Jules Tangerine Mist Oriental Area Rug
- Best runner rug: Jules Lagoon Brick Oriental Area Rug
- Best Moroccan rug: Alice Cream Charcoal Geometric Area Rug
- Best geometric rug: Alice ALI-04 Geometric Area Rug
Best Traditional: Rosemarie ROE-01 Graphite Oriental Area Rug
Not only are the rugs in the earthy-hued Rosemarie line power-loomed in Egypt, but they draw inspiration from antique designs, bringing a touch of traditionalism to your space. We recommend pairing this classic choice with unconventional accent pieces, like a tubular side table or color-blocked sofa, for a hit of contrast that keeps you on your toes.
Best Vintage-Style: Jules Tangerine Mist Oriental Area Rug
Printed using advanced rug-making techniques, the faded Jules collection will satisfy your appetite for distressed vintage floor coverings with none of the high-maintenance stress that comes with a true antique. It’s low pile, making it easy to clean and maintain (it’s super-simple to vacuum and never sheds), so the ideal pick for a kid- and dog-centric household.
Best Runner: Jules Lagoon Brick Oriental Area Rug
Whether your runner rug lives at your bedside and is the first thing that greets your feet in the morning or accompanies you from point A to point B in your hallway or entryway, odds are it’s taken the brunt of most spills, dirt stains, and paw prints. A runner from the Jules collection is the perfect solution: Clean the 100 percent power-loomed design by simply blotting tricky spots with a dry sponge or cloth—and voilà! Good as new.
Best Moroccan: Alice Cream Charcoal Geometric Area Rug
If you’re looking for the style of a Moroccan rug at the price of, well, something much cheaper, look no further than the Alice collection. Made in Turkey, the rugs sport a cream and charcoal palette and fringed edges, immediately transforming your home into a luxurious destination. Not to mention, its supersoft feel will make your feet do a happy dance.
Best Geometric: Alice ALI-04 Geometric Area Rug
Sometimes your rug is the star of the show. Say goodbye to expensive accessorizing with a geometric, zebra-esque print that will brighten up the entire room. When it comes to a loud and fun floor covering, keep your furniture pieces, like sofas and armchairs, neutral to let the rug really shine. But hurry, only 10 are left in stock!
How We Vetted These Products
Every product in a Domino guide meets these criteria:
- They blend form and function. We believe the best designed products reflect your personal style and are a joy to use.
- They’re expert approved. In addition to our team of editors, we tap a range of designers, makers, renovators, and all-around knowledgeable people to share their intel.
- They’re endorsed by people who actually own them. We pay close attention to real reviews from both our creative community and third-party websites to know that they pass the test IRL.
What to Consider Before Shopping for a Rug
According to Cyrus Loloi, Loloi Rugs’s principal and CMO, when it comes to rugs, the bigger the better. “We generally encourage people to go with the largest size that a room can reasonably accommodate,” says Loloi. “Bigger rugs ground the space and tie existing furniture elements together.”
Durability and material choice go hand in hand, as evidenced by Loloi Rugs’s recent sale patterns. The brand has seen a rise in popularity in “synthetic fibers like polypropylene and polyester given their stain- and fade-resistant nature, as well as their ability to not shed,” says Cyrus. Good to keep in mind when shopping for the long haul.
Color & Design
Narrow down your search by identifying the style of furniture and decor in your existing space. Rugs create a backdrop for those pieces, so look for complementary colors and styles. For instance, if you live in a sea of neutrals, a cream and charcoal Moroccan rug might add just the hit of texture you’re looking for without bringing new colors into the space.
Pro Tips for Buying Affordable Rugs
When it comes to purchasing a budget-friendly floor covering, there’s a lot to consider. Which materials will last but not break the bank? How can you choose a piece that will look good in your next home? We tapped our resident rug experts (members of Domino’s style team) to teach us a thing or two about bargain hunting.
- Material matters. “If you’re looking for an affordable rug, I’d recommend going for a flat weave,” says associate style editor Julia Stevens. “They’re usually cotton, instead of a synthetic textile, which is important to me. I love having natural fibers around.”
- Experiment. “Try a funky color or bolder pattern—it’s the perfect way to take the pressure off before you commit to a larger investment item,” says style director Benjamin Reynaert.
- Keep layering in mind. “I’ll often save on large, natural-weave rugs so that one day I can splurge on a vintage Turkish or Moroccan piece to layer,” says Reynaert. “Smaller sizes are less expensive, so it’s the best of both worlds.”
Every product is independently selected by (obsessive) editors. Things you buy through our links may earn us a commission.