The Best Toaster Ovens Combine Three Appliances in One
They’re small-space friendly, too.
Updated Oct 12, 2018 4:26 AM
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs.
Sure, some special occasions call for toiling behind a full-size oven. But what about when all you want is to toast a couple slices of bread, reheat some leftover pizza, or quickly roast vegetables for dinner? That’s where the versatility of countertop convection ovens shine, and it’s the reason why we’re about to see them everywhere.
These small appliances whip around hot air to produce the holy trinity of textures—crusty, crunchy, and caramelized—fast and efficiently, all without making your kitchen unbearably hot. And the newest models even look cute on your countertop. So whether you want to toast, bake, roast, or even air fry, these stylish smart ovens are ready to cook ingredients faster than you can say Top Chef.
The Short List
- Best value: Cuisinart Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler
- Best for air frying: Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
- Best for toast: Balmuda The Toaster
- Best high tech: June Smart Oven
- Best voice controlled: Amazon Smart Oven
Best Value: Cuisinart Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler
There’s nothing flashy about this model, but its nine functions make it easy to bake (even a cake!), roast, or toast, all while keeping a precise overall temperature. Cuisinart includes accessories galore, including a pizza stone, two cooking racks, a 9-by-13-inch enamel baking pan, and a broiling pan.
- Size: 18.5″ x 15.35″ x 10″
- Design: Brushed stainless steel.
- What you can make in it: Believe it or not, you can fit a 13-inch pizza or up to nine slices of bread inside, with additional settings for meat, vegetables, bagels, and even waffles.
Best for Air Frying: Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
I’ve owned a Breville Smart Oven for more than a decade and have cooked just about everything in it thanks to its versatile 11 preset function settings, from toasting to broiling. This newer model adds an air-frying function, unlocking yet another option: french fries! Plus built-in fans circulate heat, resulting in fast and even cooking.
- Size: 19″ x 13.9″ x 14.1″
- Design: Silver, black, gray, blue, and dark gray.
- What you can make in it: What can you not cook within this Swiss Army knife of ovens? Toast, bagel, pizza, cookies, nachos, broiled fish, baked potatoes, even an entire slow-roasted chicken.
Best for Toast: Balmuda The Toaster
If you’re particularly serious about the texture of your toast, this Japanese-engineered toaster oven produces an extremely satisfying balance of a crispy crust and a moist crumb within just a few minutes, using controlled amounts of steam. Bonus feature: A tiny (and we mean very, very small) plastic cup that holds a teaspoon of water and releases it as steam during the toasting process. The result is the best toast texture (chewy and crusty) that I’ve experienced from a countertop oven.
- Size: 14″ x 12 1/2″ x 8 1/4″
- Design: Black, gray, and white
- What you can make in it: Best for toasting thick artisan bread, this toaster oven is equipped with additional settings for thin slices of bread, English muffins, pizza, bagels, and pastries.
Best High Tech: June Smart Oven
Now in its third iteration, currently preorder only, the June Oven is the smartest of the bunch—an oven equipped with its own built-in computer, thermometer, Wi-Fi–enabled HD camera (for checking in on browning, obviously), and a dedicated app, all designed to help you reach your full Ina Garten potential. The appliance is able to identify more than 100 ingredients, and it adjusts the temperature and cooking time accordingly.
- Size: 12.75″ x 19.6″ x 19″
- Design: Powder-coated metallic silver-gray.
- What you can make in it: The June Oven can pretty much cook anything you’d prepare in a traditional full-size oven—and more. Bake, toast, roast, broil, dehydrate, slow cook, air fry, and even grill.
Best Voice Controlled: Amazon Smart Oven
This sleek-looking 4-in-1 microwave, convection oven, food warmer, and air fryer makes for a promising proposition when you realize it can replace a multitude of kitchen appliances with a single device at a very reasonable price. Also, if you like to bark orders when you’re hangry, Alexa is more than willing to make your wish its command. While it can’t automatically identify ingredients like the June Oven can, it does support a scan-to-cook option with a selection of packaged foods using the Alexa app.
- Size: 21.73″ x 21.38″ x 12.83″
- Design: Charcoal, plum, gray, and sandstone.
- What you can make in it: With enough room to cook an entire five-pound chicken, the combination of a convection oven, microwave, toaster, and air fryer makes this a highly versatile appliance.
How We Vetted These Products
Every item featured in Domino guides meet these criteria:
- They blend form and function. We believe the best-designed products reflect your personal style and are a joy to use.
- They’re expert approved. In addition to our team of editors, we tap a range of designers, makers, renovators, and all-around knowledgeable people to share their intel.
- They’re endorsed by people who actually own them. We pay close attention to real reviews from both our creative community and third-party websites to know that they pass the test IRL.