How to Make the Famous Cauliflower Salad from Winsome in LA
One of the East Side’s hottest cafes wins in the bold design and cooking categories with their signature veggie dish.
Published Dec 3, 2016 6:00 AM
Winsome is a beautiful, beloved Echo Park restaurant owned by partners Marc Rose and Med Abrous (who also own The Spare Room and Genghis Cohen). The newish boite features incredible custom tiles—from the deep green Heath Ceramics on the coffee bar to the white Fireclay Tiles on the lunch counter to the Tony Brown-created hand-tooled tiles for tables on the outdoor patio. And the restaurant’s menu is just as custom and crowd-pleasing with dishes like the shaved cauliflower salad, which is a must-order.
“The shaved cauliflower salad’s big bold flavors—from the nutritional yeast, lime, and Parmesan—combine with the crunch of the cauliflower and Lola Rosa to make this a really special dish,” says Abrous. “It has a clean, bright flavor that pops with every bite.” This versatile menu item is an all day offering, and it’s great for sharing or enjoying solo. “I think it’s a hit because it’s a creative way of serving a fresh salad that features serious flavor and seasoning.” And it’s pretty easy to replicate at home.
SHAVED CAULIFLOWER SALAD
Recipe courtesy of Winsome Makes 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces cauliflower florets (from about ½ of a small head), very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 cups 1-inch-wide strips lolla rossa lettuce or romaine
- 2 cups torn frisée
- 2 ounces Parmesan, finely grated, divided
- Whisk lime zest, lime juice, mustard, and honey in a large bowl.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add oil; whisk until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cauliflower and 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast to dressing; toss to combine.
- Add lettuce, frisée, and half of Parmesan and toss again; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer salad to a platter and top with remaining Parmesan and remaining 1 tsp. nutritional yeast.