Easy Summer Hairstyles To Take You From the Beach to Dinner
You'll be ready in mere minutes.
Published Jun 30, 2018 5:20 AM
Picture this: The song of the summer playing, your favorite cocktail in hand, the perfect breezy beach day, an incredible book in hand, you’re rocking the chicest swimsuit. In this scenario is your hair behaving? Given the perfect summer storm that is humidity, heat, and sunshine, I can’t even consider that my hair is on its best behavior in this dream situation.
But that’s what we’re here to solve. Let me introduce your go-to guide to your best-behaving hair this summer. We paired up with our favorite salon Spoke & Weal, and one of their Soho stylists, Jon-Michael Hall, to get the 411 for summer hair. We told Hall that we wanted the looks to be as easy as possible, but also as chic as possible. (What, like it’s hard?) Thus, peep these three super quick looks you can can do on yourself before you head to the beach or pool, or even while you’re there, or on your way to your next stop (be it dinner, cafe, or da club).
Okay, I hear you yelling at your screen, “That’s not easy!” Actually, Hall reiterated this is the easiest of all braids, saying it’s “super simple, but extremely chic.” And watching him fishtail braid our social media editor Alyssa’s hair in about two minutes flat, we can concur that it only looks hard—we’ve been tricked into thinking it’s more difficult than it is.
Alyssa’s hair is fine textured and long, but this fishtail braid is great for all hair types. Incredibly simple, but incredibly chic. It’s one of those looks you can do in the morning, and it’ll last all day (and night) long.
- Pull hair back into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie.
- Take a very small section of hair from the bottom of the ponytail, and wrap around the ponytail, then secure with bobby pins. (This gives the ponytail a super polished boost.)
- Split the ponytail into two sections. Take a section from outside strands and cross over to opposite side. Repeat steps all the way to end of the ponytail and secure with a hair tie. That’s it!
You lucky ladies with gorgeous texture can enjoy and embrace the beauty of a very simple ponytail. Hall played with the volume on Lahaina, our digital photo editor, to mimic a sexy, ‘70s-esque vibe at the pool.
Lahaina’s hair is long with a lot of natural curl, and this chic look is perfection for anyone with a lot of texture or curl in their hair, as it allows you to work with and encourage the natural texture of your hair while out in the heat and humidity.
- Pull hair back into a sleek ponytail (middle of the head or low, whichever you prefer) and secure with a hair tie. If frizz is an issue, add some gel or hairspray on the hair that’s pulled back to keep flyaways down and that part smoothed.
- Take a small section of hair from underneath the ponytail and wrap it around to cover the tie, and secure the wrapped strand with a bobby pin. Again, such a great, simple look in itself, really pulls a pony together.
- Take your fingers or a comb (which will give it much more volume) and mildly back comb hair to create extra volume. If you’re doing this prior to heading to the pool or beach, you could curl it a bit before back combing so you get even more, bold texture. You can hairspray for a longer hold throughout the day.
Half Top Knot
For all you shawty’s out there (in the hair length category), this one is for you. This is great for short to mid-length hair, and what’s especially simple about this style is it’s great for any and all hair textures, too. Oh, and it’s super simple, too. Hall did this look in 3 to 5 minutes flat on yours truly (Domino’s wellness editor), and choose the half top knot style for its simplicity and ease. This look is great on clean hair, but even easier and more textured on dirty, beachy hair.
- Pull the section of hair from your temples to the crown of your head up to create a triangle section in hair. Secure with a hair tie.
- Form a messy bun by twirling hair around the hair tie, then secure with bobby pins.
- If you want more texture, spray in texturizing hair spray, and/or quickly curl sections of hair.
There you have it—three looks that nearly every person under the sun can try out this summer. Enjoy that sun, and don’t forget SPF.
Jon-Michael Hall for Spoke & Weal