In partnership with
Sometimes, there’s nothing better than foregoing weekend party plans, settling in, and indulging in a good, old-fashioned movie night at home. Comfy clothes and good vibes are all that’s required for a relaxing evening spent in front of the TV with family or friends, but you can make the night extra festive by paying attention to a few details.
With entertaining essentials from Home Depot and a couple easy recipes for tasty snacks, you can turn your living room into the ultimate home theater.
1. Pick a movie genre
It can be hard to satisfy everyone’s differing movie tastes (sorry, not everyone wants to watch hours of Leonardo DiCaprio’s greatest hits). Start with a genre, specific setting, or vibe, and tailor your evening entertainment to that..
The fun part about hosting a movie night at home is the potential to watch more than just one feature film. If you can get the clan to agree on a genre, either take a vote on which one to watch first, or write each choice on faux movie tickets and pick out of a hat.
2. Snacks, at the ready
What’s a good movie night without lots of popcorn to munch on? You could keep it traditional with plain or buttered popcorn, or spice things up (literally) by making popcorn with toppings that match your movie’s theme.
Pick from one of our recipes below or create a popcorn bar with each of the different topping options to please even the pickiest movie-goer. Set out fun glasses, like these embossed drinking glasses from 3R Studios, and pretty plates (we love this gold-plated set) for guests to use as personal serving dishes.
While you fix up the toppings, let your microwave do the heavy-lifting: A few boxes of plain, microwaveable popcorn are the base for each of our options.
Sea Salt and Caramel Popcorn
Perfect for that salty, sweet romantic comedy or one of these this easy coated popcorn tastes delicious when homemade.
To make the caramel sauce:
1. Melt 1 cup butter in a saucepan on medium heat. The Old Dutch Professional 3 Qt. Copper Saucepan from Home Depot is ideal.
2. Add 1 cup light brown sugar and ½ tsp sea salt
3. After allowing butter/sugar mixture to boil for about 5 minutes, add ½ tsp baking soda
To make the popcorn:
1. Spread approximately 10 cups of popcorn on a flat baking sheet
2.Pour the hot sea salt caramel over the popcorn
3.Use spatula to cover the popcorn with the mixture
4.Allow to cool before serving.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Popcorn
We’re a little bit obsessed with Everything Bagel Seasoning. From avocado toast to burgers and everything in between, it’s a delicious addition to just about anything. Even though the seasoning is everything BUT the bagel, this recipe would make for the perfect pairing if you chose a New York-themed movie night.
To make the seasoned popcorn:
1. Melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a pan or microwave
2. Add in about 1 clove minced garlic
3. Toss the garlic butter in with approximately 8 cups plain popcorn in a large bowl. The Old Dutch copper mixing bowls are pretty enough to use as a serving dish as well.
4. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning on mixture and combine. The butter will allow the yummy seasoning to stick to the popcorn!
Chile and Sea Salt Popcorn:
Turn up the heat by replacing plain butter with this spicy twist.
To make the seasoned popcorn:
1. Microwave a small cup full of chile oil
2. Drizzle 1 ½ tablespoons of chile oil onto plain popcorn in a large bowl.
3. Toss in 2 tablespoons sea salt
3. Grab your beverage
Spiced cider is the perfect cozy drink to wash down handfuls of salty popcorn. Plus, the mulled spices will fill your home with a delicious and inviting scent. Warm it up or drink it cold for a refreshing treat.
To make the spiced cider:
1. Bring 1 gallon of apple cider, ¼ cup light brown sugar, a orange peel and 1 teaspoon allspice to a boil in a large pot over medium heat
2. Let simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes
3. Add cinnamon sticks and star anise for garnish
4. Serve in copper Moscow mule mugs for a fun and festive look.
4. Set the ambiance
Now that you’ve got your movie goodies ready to go, it’s time to sit back and enjoy the film. Turning your living room into a peaceful movie lounge can be as easy as dimming the lights and adding a few extra plush throws and pillows to the couch and floor. Curl up with a soft blanket, grab some popcorn, and enjoy.