Today in ikea furniture that might potentially kill you: A Welsh woman reported that her glass table, which she had purchased from the Cardiff branch of the Swedish retailer, spontaneously exploded in her living room.
Per Wales Online, the 25-year-old mother and her son were going about their day when she suddenly heard a loud sound almost “like a gunshot.”
“I got up in the morning with my son. He was playing on a push-along car. All I heard was a massive bang… the glass table had just exploded. It just shattered everywhere, all over my living room,” she said.
While thankfully no one was injured, the mother was understandably upset at what could have happened if her son or dog had been near the table at the time of the incident. She was also confused as to how this happened at all, saying that she regularly cleaned the table and hadn’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Images show the Salmi table, which is still available at Ikea.com for $149, completely shattered with only the metal ring remaining. The table is made with tempered glass, purportedly so that it’s easier to clean and more durable.
This is the latest in what is shaping up to be a series of safety hazards surrounding seemingly harmless Ikea products—never forget #Blandagate of June 2017—and Ikea wants everyone to know that they are taking these occurrences seriously.
“The safety of our products is always our main priority and our entire range is tested rigorously to meet the highest standards,” said an Ikea spokesperson. “We understand the experience of the glass breaking can be distressing, however tempered glass is designed to shatter to minimize risk of injury. Over time small knocks and fractures can affect the durability and this can cause breakage, even if such damage isn’t visible.”
While it’s likely that this is an isolated experience, if you’re not willing to take risks with the combustible properties of your home decor, don’t worry—there are plenty of other tried-and-true Ikea products to choose from.
Source: Wales Online