All the single ladies… should be moving to Ohio, apparently.
Real estate brokerage Owners recently reviewed US metropolitan statistical areas—referred to as MSAs—to find out which were the 20 best ones for single women. And of all the MSAs with over 1 million people, Cincinnati tops the list.
Owners came to this conclusion based on a number of variables. The firm looked at the percentage of single women homeowners already living in the MSA, housing affordability, median female income, crime rate, walkability, and transit. They even examined the average cost of a dinner for two. After all that, the findings were then ordered, based on affordability.
Following Cincinnati (or more specifically, the Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville MSA of Ohio), the rest of the top 20 list looks something like this:
1. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville, OH
2. Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS
3. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK
4. Albany-Schenectady, NY
5. Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs, GA
6. Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI
7. Hartford-West Hartford, CT
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI
9. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
10. Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI
11. Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD
12. Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT
13. Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA
14. Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA
15. Seattle-Tacoma, WA
16. Denver-Aurora, CO
17. Sacramento-Roseville, VA
18. New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA
19. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA
20. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA
Considering that single female home buyers outnumber single male home buyers by a 10 point percentage—the former make up 17 percent of the national market to the latter’s seven percent—this information could be valuable to both single women looking to move and people who work in real estate.
Phil Karp, the senior manager of brokerage services at Owners, believes that a low housing inventory, coupled with high costs nationwide, means potential buyers should use this data to their advantage.
“There is a noticeable shift toward more single women entering the real estate market, particularly given lower unemployment rates, rising incomes, and the value placed on home ownership,” said Karp. “Savvy buyers should seek modernized brokerage models that not only offer rebates at close, but also provide data to support smarter, data-informed purchase decisions.”
In other words, is it time to buy a plane ticket?
Read the full findings at Market Wired.