intro by SHANI SILVER
text & photography by RACHEL SMITH of THE CRAFTED LIFE
Spring and summer come with copious color. That’s just fact. Warmer weather calls for creative uses of color both inside the home and out. Inspiration can come from anywhere, but once we saw The Crafted Life’s Instagram, we narrowed “anywhere” down a lot. Read on for Rachel Smith of The Crafted Life’s advice for unexpected color pops throughout your space, and check out her Instagramfor endless inspiration and bright ideas!
- Instead of leaving your new spring plants in plain terra cotta planters, paint each one of them a different color! They will look great on their own, or even better clustered together. I love mixing teals and mints with warmer pinks and yellows.
- Pink + blue doesn’t always necessarily have to be the color of the kids’ room! Instead, use them as accent colors (I bring them in my own home with this Berber rug). Think Pantone’s colors of the year, or even a rich cobalt blue paired with a pale pink for your vases or pillows
- Glassware and your dishes are the perfect place to get a little kookie if you’re a bit intimidated by bringing color into your home. They’ll be an interesting topic of discussion when having guests over, but you can also tuck them away in your cabinets when not in use. I love the idea of mixing and matching instead of having a set of one color.
- If there’s one color that always makes me happy, it’s yellow. If you want to bring a bit of sunshine into your home, think a large scale piece of art that’s bright and cheerful. You can even paint the frames of your current artwork if you want to weave it in in a smaller way.
- When in doubt, use them all! If you want to make a bold color statement in your home, I suggest an accent wall with a colorful and fun wallpaper. There are so many great choices for removeable wallpaper these days, that even if you’re just renting, you can still find something you’ll love.