text by SHANI SILVER
recipes by AKHTAR NAWAB
photos courtesy of CHOZA
With Passover happening as we speak, and Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, what better spring soup to serve than Mexican Matza Ball Soup? It’s a thing, trust us, Chef Akhtar Nawab of Choza Taqueria in NYC created it. Find out how to prepare this creative marriage of cultures below!
- 2 pasilla chiles, seeded
- 2 guajillo chiles, seeded
- 1 large onion, diced, small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 qt chicken rich chicken stock, (or no salt added broth)
- 8 matzoh balls (made or bought)
- 1 pulled roasted chicken
- (Garnish with corn tortilla chips if you allow corn in your Passover diet)
- Heat the oil in a small pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, and cook over low heat until tender and no color.
- Deseed the pasilla and guajillo chile and toast in a dry pan.
- When aromatic add all the chiles to the onions and garlic and cook over low heat.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer over low heat for an hour.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the pureed soup and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
“I GREW UP WITH A LOT OF JEWISH FAMILIES AND ALWAYS LOVED THEIR TRADITIONS….AND FOOD. I THOUGHT A MEXICAN VERSION OF THE TRADITIONAL JEWISH SOUP WOULD BE DELICIOUS”— Chef AKHTAR NAWAB
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons chicken fat (from the above soup)
- 1 cup matza meal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 12 cups salted water
- pinch, minced cilantro
- pinch, mexican oregano
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Shape into 2 oz balls and cool.
- Add the balls to a pot of simmering water and poach covered for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add the matzah balls to the soup and simmer for about 10 minutes.
“THE MATZAH MEAL PAIRS VERY WELL WITH THE MEATY MEXICAN SOUP. I ADD SOME CILANTRO AND CHILE PIQUIN TO THE MATZAH MIXTURE AND POACH IN THE SOUP. ALL OF THE FLAVORS CAME TOGETHER VERY WELL”— Chef AKHTAR NAWAB
Enjoy Chef Nawab’s Mexican Matza Ball Soup at Choza in NYC through 4/30!
– 3 locations in NYC:100 Park Avenue
66 Madison Avenue
Gotham West Market (600 11th Avenue)