This is How You Set the Table Like an Italian
Designer J.J. Martin brings her maximalist style and Italian sensibility to the tablescape.
Published Aug 11, 2017 1:30 PM
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs.
The Italian life: The phrase conjures up superlatives of all sorts: the freshest pastas, the boldest tiles, the bluest seas. La Double J’s J.J. Martin tells us how to tap into this state of mind every day, by setting the table in an Italian way.
To live like an Italian, you need to entertain like an Italian. Martin first got a glimpse of this maxim before her wedding. An Italian friend said to her: “What are you doing registering for 10 plates—you need 30!”
Setting the Table: 8 Tips from J.J. Martin
1. Keep themes for different table elements, then mix it up.
“I like order in my chaos…Vases in all glass, but in different colors, or placements in one pattern with varied napkins, for instance. It helps to have a category in the same family as a starting point.”
2. Avoid using a caterer’s tableware, even for a big party.
3. Go fresh, colorful, and small with flower arrangements.
4. For the classicist, try linens for a pop of color.
5. Glassware is an unsung hero.
6. Lose the idea of sets—combine and contrast your tableware for a fresher look.
7. Dessert plates for the win.
8. If all else fails, know this one reigning truth to entertain the Italian way.
“Don’t feel confined to have everything the same.”
Where the Locals Go In Coastal Italy Estate of the Art: Tuscany’s Villa Lena The Ultimate Travel Guide to Florence