In a compact space, choosing just-right furnishings can make all the difference between your home feeling cramped or comfortable. From practically invisible acrylic chairs to shelving that flexes with the needs of your space, these 10 furniture pieces should be on any small-space-dweller’s must-have list.
1. Pedestal table. A round table with a slender pedestal base tucks into small spaces with ease. The round edge means no bumping into sharp corners, and the (nearly) leg-free base makes it easier to squeeze one more friend around the table.
2. Shelving that can go vertical or horizontal. Instead of choosing the largest possible shelving unit that will fit your space, consider picking up a few versatile cubby-like shelves that can stand upright or lie flat. A pair can stand side by side on a big wall; be separated for use in different rooms; or flank a sofa, as shown here. Positioned horizontally, a sturdy shelf can even do double duty as a bench.
3. Stack of stools. Just because you don’t have room for bulky armchairs and a giant sofa doesn’t mean you won’t have a need for ample seating. One solution is to tuck a stack of stools in a corner— when extra guests pop by, you can simply unstack the stools.
4. Big mirror. If you’re going to buy only a few items to make the most of your small space, a great, big mirror should definitely top the list. Hanging a large mirror instantly makes a small room feel bigger and brighter. Position it across from a window for maximum light-boosting power.
7. Mini Parsons desk. It can be a desk, but it also works as an oversize bedside table, bar, buffet or kitchen table. In fact, there’s not much this versatile table can’t do. The sleek shape makes it an especially good choice for studio apartments, where you need your table to pull double (or triple) duty.
8. Bench. A backless bench is a smart choice in a small dining area since it can be tucked under the table, as it is here, when not in use. A low bench also works well as a coffee table, and it can be called into service as extra seating when guests outnumber the chairs.
9. Acrylic chair. Like an invisibility cloak for your furniture, anything made of clear acrylic is an excellent choice for small spaces. An acrylic armchair is an especially useful piece to have, since it can tuck in just about anywhere, from the living room to the desk.
10. Poufs. Whether you choose Moroccan-style leather, rustic burlap or seagrass, poufs are a must for any small home. Use them as footstools, extra seats or side tables (just top with a tray).
Houzz is the leading platform for home remodeling and design, providing people with everything they need to improve their homes from start to finish – online or from a mobile device. From decorating a room to building a custom home, Houzz connects millions of homeowners, home design enthusiasts and home improvement professionals across the country and around the world. With the largest residential design database in the world and a vibrant community powered by social tools, Houzz is the easiest way for people to get the design inspiration, project advice, product information and professional reviews they need to help turn ideas into reality.