You don’t need to skip town to have a fun and relaxing summer. Consider this your go-to guide for getting the most out of the season. As part of our 100 Days of Summer package, we’ll be giving you tips on how to have the most fun in the sun, in five cities across the country. Last week, we hit New York City, and today, we’re heading to Washington D.C.
1. Commit to eating every meal out of a truck at Truckeroo, DC’s biggest food truck festival, which will be held June 16, July 21, August 4, and September 1.
2. Put on your boldest bikini and head to the Liaison Hill DC rooftop pool and lounge, the only open-air rooftop bar on Capitol Hill. Day passes go for only $35, and after 5PM admission is completely free.
3. Unleash your inner adventurer and hike the Billy Goat Trail, which is famous for its sweeping views of the Potomac.
4. Idle away an afternoon under pink and white umbrellas at the Rosé Garden, a buzzy newcomer from Whaley’s in the Navy Yard. Then, catch the outdoor crab boils at Fish, José Andrés’s latest seafood spot on a sprawling patio along the Potomac. [Photo by Rachel Lyn Photography]
5. Starting June 21, you can officially head to the Game of Thrones Pop-Up Bar. Sip a “What is Dead May Never Die” cocktail while you’re transported to the North, the Red Keep, Meereen, the House of Black and White, and the Throne Room.
7. For the perfect date night, head to Jazz in the Garden at the National Gallery of Art for a free outdoor concert and all the sangria you could ever want.
8. You’ve heard of food trucks, but what about food boats? Head to the Potomac and try a Nauti dog or Dolcezza Gelato from Nauti Foods every weekend from 10AM to 8PM.
10. Catch some zen by taking a free yoga class at your local park any day of the week.
16. Sample beers from over 70 different microbreweries at the Smithsonian’s Brew at the Zoo on July 20. All proceeds benefit the conservation and care efforts for the zoo’s animals.