At first glance, if you didn’t know any better, you might consider this tool to be a tiny, decorative rolling pin. Or hey, even an ancient piece of art. Well, no: This is a jade facial roller, and you’re going to love it.
The jade roller is nothing new, it’s been an integral part of Chinese beauty since the 7th Century, but the simple roller ball composed of, yep, jade is making a popularity comeback—for its diversity and effectiveness. Let’s run through the long list of benefits, shall we?
- Improves circulation to the skin, which improves skin tone
- Promotes lymphatic drainage, which decreases puffiness
- Helps the skin to eliminate toxins
- Tightens pores and reduces pore size
- Improves the elasticity of skin
Wow, that was fun. Look at everything that simple, ancient tool does! But also, the process of rolling it on your face feels incredible: A tiny roller pin massage for your face. Plus you’ll feel super luxurious and pampered, which is a mental boost in itself.
“It’s great for de-puffing and toning the skin,” says Desiree Pais, Herbivore Botanicals’ Beauty Editor. “The big beauty secret is to chill/refrigerate so the cold stone will help shrink the capillaries and take away puffiness. And the jade stone itself, like other stones and crystals, holds its own powers and properties. It has been used for centuries for its powerful healing properties on the physical body.”
Pais told us the tricks and tips to maximizing your new favorite jade roller:
- On clean skin after showering is preferential but some people use it anywhere and anytime they feel they need a pick me up.
- Apply a few drops of oil onto the face, and massage it in for a moment with your hands.
- Then spend at least 3-5 minutes with the jade roller ($25), starting from the inside of the face and working your way out. (Pais especially likes to do it along her jawline to release some of that tension held there from stress.)
- Afterwards, apply a little bit more oil (Pais loves Orchid at the moment.) for a totally refreshed look.
Wanting to get a bit more hands-on with jade? Well, the jade Gua Sha tool ($15) is your new best friend then. The same concept of the jade roller, but in a handheld tool, and, yep, it still decreases puffiness and gets blood circulating.
“It is a powerful tool that can help train the muscles of the face to go against gravity,” says Shiva Rose, hollistic skincare guru and founder of her namesake (incredible!) skincare line Shiva Rose. “You always move along the face gently in upward motions away from the center of the face to get the blood circulating and lymph system working. It decreases puffy eyes and helps retain the jaw line.” (Rose uses her Rose Face Oil ($105) while using the stone.)
And just how a chilled roller is effective, same holds true for the Gua Sha tool too. “The stone is naturally cold, but this extra temperature drop will aid in your efforts to increase circulation, drain congested lymph nodes, rid the body of toxins/waste, stimulate collagen production, help with sinus issues, and balance chi.”
Keep the good times (jade) rolling, my friends.