Bar Sardine’s Brian Bartels breaks down the ultimate salad and cocktail pairing to help you elevate your weeknight dinner!
Farro and Chickpea Salad
- ¼ cup cooked farro
- ¼ cup cooked wheat berries
- ¼ cup cooked chickpeas
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 small carrot, shaved into ribbons
- 2 red radishes, sliced thinly
- 1/8 cup pickled red onions
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 8 shrimp, peeled, deveined and poached
- 1 bunch green kale, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 ripe avocado
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Lemon Tahini Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place the tahini in a small mixing bowl and whisk in the lemon juice and olive oil. Whisk in the water to loosen the tahini to creamy consistency. Season the dressing to taste with a little salt.
1. Take two large bowls and spread the tahini dressing along the inner rim of each, ½ the circumference of the bowl.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the farro, wheat berries, chickpeas, sesame seeds and golden raisins.
3. Season the grains to taste with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Divide the grain salad between the two bowls.
4. In another mixing bowl combine the kale, radishes, carrots, pickled onions, pumpkin seeds and poached shrimp.
5. Toss the salad with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Divide evenly amongst the two bowls.
6. Halve and peel the avocado. Season each piece with salt, olive oil and lemon juice.
7. Garnish each salad with the avocado to finish.
- 1 oz. Lemon Verbena Tea Infused Dorothy Parker Gin*
- 1 oz. Campari
- 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth
Stir; serve over ice with a lemon peel.
*Lemon Verbena Tea Infused Dorothy Parker Gin
- 4 cups Gin
- 1/2 cup Lemon Verbena Tea Leaves
Seal in an airtight, non-reactive container for 48 hours. Strain and use for up to three months.