In This City, a Pool Will Boost Your Home Value 12% Higher Than Average
And nine other swimmingly great places.
Published Aug 10, 2023 3:19 PM
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs.
We love a renovation that brings new life to a home—but we love the ones that boost its value even more. We already know that a spacious yard, a dark gray kitchen, or durable slate floors, for example, will get you more bang for your buck. But according to a recent report by Realtor.com, having a pool can seriously amp up your ROI. When it comes time to sell, you can ask for up to a 20 percent premium in the right city.
The data reveals the demand for swimming pools spiked during the pandemic when quality-of-life amenities were a high priority. And though there was a dip in interest when mortgage rates started climbing in mid-2022, it’s been making a comeback, reaching its highest point this July. Here are the top 10 places where this summertime staple can earn you the most:
1. Fort Myers, Florida: 20.4 percent premium
2. Baton Rouge, Louisiana: 13.9 percent premium
3. Jackson, Mississippi: 11.7 percent premium
4. Dayton, Ohio: 11.6 percent premium
5. Pittsburgh: 11.5 percent premium
6. Wichita, Kansas: 11 percent premium
7. Kansas City, Missouri: 8.9 percent premium
8. Las Vegas: 8.2 percent premium
9. Albuquerque, New Mexico: 7.4 percent premium
10. Knoxville, Tennessee: 7.3 percent premium
If you’re living in a place where the sun’s always shining, a pool can become your personal oasis where you can kick back and soak up the good vibes. Because one costs a good deal of money to construct—about $36,000 on average, according to Angi—and maintain, it makes sense to wrap the existing value into your asking price. If you’ve got one, it’s not just about upgrading your backyard barbecue season, it could mean a splashier return when you’re ready to sell.