Try This DIY Before You Throw Away Old Napkins
This easy dip-dye DIY will take your tabletop game up a notch.
Published Sep 28, 2018 6:02 PM
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs.
Annette Vartanian is the creator of A Vintage Splendor, a vintage modern lifestyle blog covering fashion, interiors, entertaining, and more. She also offers vintage shopping tours, vintage styling services, and a bevy of how-tos and DIYs. Check out her home tour here.
I feel like dip dye has been having a moment forever, and I’m not ready to say bye to it yet. I had this idea because a couple of my white napkins were starting to look “not so fresh” even though I’ve only used them a handful of time. I decided to give them new life with some dye and add a little bit of flair, which makes it a perfect project for spring and summer.
What You’ll Need:
- Cotton or Linen Napkins
- Tassel Trim
- Pom Pom Trim
- Steel bowl or bucket
- Binder clips
- Needle & thread
- Scissors Rubber
1. Pre-wash your fabric to prep it for dyeing and allow to dry.
2. Follow the dye instructions to create a dye bath in your bowl or bucket.
3. Lay your napkin flat over the edge of the bowl with about one inch inserted into the dye bath. Use a binder clip to secure it in place
4. Allow the fabric to sit at least one hour. I left mine for 1 hour and got about 4 inches of the fabric dyed.
5. Remove from the bath and wash the napkins in warm, then cold, water until the water runs clear.
6. Wash, dry, and iron.
7. Select your trim option, and using needle and thread, sew on the underside of the napkin.