Summer Bucket List: 14 Must-Do Activities in NYC
You don't need to skip town to have a fun and relaxing summer.
Published Jun 6, 2017 4:00 PM
Can’t get out of the city? Never fear: Consider this your go-to guide for getting the most out of the season. As part of our 100 Days of Summer package, we’ll be giving you tips on how to have the most fun in the sun in five cities across the country, starting with New York.
1. Grab a drink at the second bar-on-a-boat from Grand Banks—this one moored in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
2. Get your outdoor adventuring fix by kayaking in the Hudson River for free at the Downtown Boathouse. Bonus: Incredible views of the Manhattan skyline that you wouldn’t get in the Catskills.
3. Order a cocktail at the new 20-seat Watertower Bar atop the Williamsburg Hotel, overlooking the glittering Manhattan skyline.
4. Climb to the top of a Brooklyn warehouse for a movie under the stars with the Rooftop Cinema Club.
5. Catch some zen by taking a free outdoor yoga class at your local park any day of the week.
6. Relive your childhood days at Coney Island’s Luna Park by riding the Cyclone or checking out the park’s weekly fireworks display.
7. See and be seen in your boldest swimsuit at the William Vale Hotel’s pool (shown above), apparently the longest in the city. Reserve a sofa or daybed for you and your boo or grab some friends to splurge on a cabana ($550 for a day).
8. Grab some friends for to catch a show at Central Park’s SummerStage, with acts spanning every genre. Our can’t miss event? Khalid on August 12.
9. Try the Loopy Doopy Rooftop Bar’s Insta-famous Prosecco Popsicle Cocktails while overlooking the Hudson River.
10. Escape the hustle and bustle of the city at Wave Hill in the Bronx—with stunning views over the river, it will feel like a trip to the Hudson Valley.
11. Eat your way around the world at Smorgasburg every weekend in Williamsburg (Saturday) and Prospect Park (Sunday).
12. Spend a day on Governors Island exploring the new hills and parkland (pictured here) or put on your best flapper dress for The Jazz Age Lawn Party.
13. You don’t need to travel far to enjoy the sand and surf: Hop on the ferry at Wall Street to head to Rockaway, where you’ll find the best beach eats around.
14. Hit up the Domino Summer Pop-Up Shop in Brooklyn to buy summer souvenirs for your besties, from beach blankets and sunscreen to candles and coozies.