Mango Curry Quinoa Recipe
The Block Shop sisters' simplified take on a Deborah Madison recipe for almost a decade (it tastes even better as leftovers the next day).
Published Mar 30, 2017 6:00 AM
The sisters behindThe Block Shop
, Lily and Hopie, have a let’s-see-what-we-come-up-with philosophy when it comes to their spring menu. Here, they share a quick recipe for quinoa with Alphonso mangoes and cilantro tossed in a sweet yogurt–lemon juice–curry sauce.
Mango Curry Quinoa Ingredients:
– 1 1/3 cups quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
– 2 Alphonso or Ataulfo mangoes (both are small and sweet)
– 3 scallions, thinly sliced
– ½ cup de-stemmed cilantro, chopped
– Pinch of salt
Whip up this dressing while the quinoa cooks. Keep in mind the quinoa will absorb the vinaigrette, so more is better. It should have a tangy, sweet, and sour flavor.
Curry Vinaigrette Ingredients:
– 1 garlic clove – ½ cup yogurt – ¼ cup mayonnaise – 1 tbsp curry powder – 5 tbsp light olive oil – 2 tsp honey or agave – Salt to taste – Lemon, juiced to taste
Bring quinoa and 3 cups water to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and spiraled, about 15 minutes. Drain if necessary.
Cut the mangoes by standing each one upright and slicing down either side of the seed, which runs lengthwise through the center of the fruit. Score the two pieces, then bend the skin outward. Cut off the squares of mango where they attach to the skin.
Toss quinoa with the mango cubes, sliced scallions, and vinaigrette. Add the cilantro just before serving so it stays perky.